What is child sponsorship?
Sponsoring a child means a fuller life for kids in need
A monthly gift of $39 provides your child and their community with life-changing opportunities like these:
4-year-old Paul, who lives in Uganda, beat malaria thanks to a Rapid Diagnosis Test kit. He lived to meet his new baby brother, Lucky.
7-year-old Marlene was able to continue school in the Congo even after becoming an orphan. She’s learning to read!
Sonali from Bangladesh spends each day in a World Vision child-friendly space, where she is cared for, educated and protected while her mother works in a nearby brothel.
How child sponsorship works
You find a child you want to help
Look forward to the first letter from your child within 6-12 weeks. It’s the start of a one-on-one relationship, and a fuller life for both of you.
Your gift helps your sponsored child and their entire community
Your donation combines with gifts from all other sponsors who support kids in the same area. Translation? Long-term resources for everyone. Nice!
Local staff makes your donations go the extra mile
Children don’t get direct cash benefits. Better yet, our staff creates a sustainable plan for funds that keeps communities out of poverty, even once we’ve moved on to help friends living in another area.
Stay connected for the important moments
The My World Vision digital experience let’s you get regular updates, track community progress, and view photos and videos of your child. You can even send them a letter through email.
What you get when you sponsor a child
- Welcome packet with child information
- Yearly child photos
- Regular mailed updates and letters
- My World Vision digital experience: gives you the ability to email and track progress of your child and their community
Have Child Sponsorship Questions?
Learn more about how sponsorship works with our FAQs.
Sponsoring a Child at World Vision
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community – and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children.
Identifying specific problems, working together to solve them, and relying on God’s guiding hand makes the difference between a generation of children trapped in the poverty of their parents and grandparents…and a generation of children freed to experience a promising future. One where they can reach their God-given potential, and one day watch their own children do the same, and even their children’s children.
Sponsoring a child through World Vision means that children, families, and communities have a sustainable, comprehensive plan for a bright future. Clean water keeps children healthy and allows crops to grow. Nourishing food and life-saving healthcare help children stay in school. Education lifts entire families out of poverty. Economic efforts create jobs and secure futures. The love of God brings hope and spiritual transformation.
What is child sponsorship?
- Child sponsorship with World Vision is one of the most effective, inspiring, and rewarding things you can do to fight poverty. That’s because when you sponsor a child with World Vision, your impact goes far beyond a single child.
- When you sponsor a child, it means that you’re partnering with children and families for the long haul, tackling the big issues that keep people down. That’s because for a community to flourish, it needs steady access to all of life’s basics: Healthcare, clean water, education, nutritious food, protection from exploitation, economic opportunity, equality, and hope.
- Child sponsorship sustainably helps families build independence. Communities take ownership of their projects so that we can move on to help other communities in need. We want to work ourselves out of a job! And since 95 percent of our staff work in their local regions, they know the culture and can bring tailored solutions to every child sponsorship community. Children in Kenya may need clean water and healthcare first. For Peru, education for kids and jobs for Mom and Dad may be at the top of the list.
How do I sponsor a child?
Even though World Vision’s approach to lifting children out of poverty starts with the community, sponsoring a child is still a one-on-one experience.
- Choose a child to sponsor whose story, interests, and circumstances resonate with you.
- Every month, your $39 sponsorship donation is pooled with other sponsors to fund programs that benefit your child and their community.
- Along the way, you can build a relationship with your sponsored child and your child’s community through letters, videos, time, prayer, updates, encouragement, and more.
- Sponsors who have the flexibility and resources can even arrange visits to see their child.
By sponsoring a child, you get to watch the impact of your donation on both that child and on his or her community. Child sponsorship with World Vision has a huge multiplier effect. We stretch your dollar as far as possible to help lift both your child and their peers out of poverty. In fact, for every child sponsored, 4 other children in the community are helped!
Why sponsor a child?
- Relationship: We were created for relationships. To be in community. With God. With each other. And especially with those who need our help. That’s when we’re most fully alive. Child sponsorship is one of those joyful connections, and a practical way to show God’s love to a child in need.
- Meaning: Some of you sponsor a child to introduce your own children to global issues. Others sponsor a child to pass on your values to your grandchildren. Sponsoring a child with the exact birthday as a child in your life can make the connection especially deep. They entered the world on the same day, just under different circumstances…but they will be forever tied together because of your decision to become a sponsor.
- Effectiveness: Sponsoring a child through World Vision means helping your sponsored child, their family, and their community out of poverty for good with comprehensive, sustainable solutions to the root causes of poverty.
Where can I sponsor a child?
Our child sponsorship work spans the entire globe. You can sponsor a child in:
- South America
- the Middle East
- Eastern Europe
In each of these places, the poorest communities have very different, nuanced needs. Communities in South Africa could need clean water and land that’s fit for farming. Child labor practices in India could be rampantly exploiting children and keeping them from the childhoods they need and the futures they deserve. In other countries, children and families are constantly displaced by war, forced to live as refugees in places already strained by economic downturns.
Where are you most passionate about helping end poverty? What country is on your heart? Sponsoring a child through World Vision means developing solutions for your child’s community based on their specific needs, you can rest in the knowledge that you’re effectively combatting the issues you care about most.
Sponsor a Child – FAQs
These are just a few of our most commonly asked questions about sponsoring a child, but you can find our full FAQs and top 5 myths on our About Child Sponsorship page.
How do I sponsor a child in another country?
We have child sponsorship programs in countries all over the world! Whether you’re looking to sponsor a child in India, or a country in Africa, or any of the other countries where have sponsorship programs, just choose a country from the dropdown menu along the top of the page. You can also filter based on age, gender, and birth date.
What is the best child sponsor organization?
Child sponsorship organizations have many similarities and differences. World Vision will be a good fit for you if you’re looking for a Christian child sponsorship organization with a community-based, sustainable approach. Learn more about how we work.
How long is my child sponsorship commitment?
When you sponsor a child, you get to create a long-term friendship with a child in need. While you can cancel at any time, you may continue sponsoring your child for as long as your child remains in the child sponsorship program. Many sponsors enjoy exchanging letters and photos over several years.
How does sponsoring a child help?
World Vision child sponsorship programs help address the root causes of poverty and injustice in your child’s community so your child, and all children in the community can have a full life. We come along side your sponsored child’s family and community with the tools they need to thrive and become self-sufficient.
Will the child I sponsor be a Christian?
Maybe. We work in many countries where Christianity is the majority faith. World Vision is also honored to be invited to work in many countries where Christianity is a minority faith, or barely present. We take great care to show God’s love in culturally appropriate ways, and serve every child we can of any faith or none. Learn more on our About Child Sponsorship page.